1st of family to come to Wales, as gamekeeper, later tenant farmer and Port Reve, Kenfig.
|Shared note|| 1st of family to come to Wales, as gamekeeper, later tenant farmer and Port Reve, Kenfig.|
Note from Janet Hearle: "The Loveluck family in Wales":
"This family settled in Wales because of an association with the Talbot family of Lacock in Wiltshire and Margam Abbey in Glamorgan. Family tradition states that the original John Loveluck (1739/40 - 1803) was born in Wiltshire and that he changed his name from Lovelock to Loveluck. When he married Ann John in 1765 in Margam, he certainly signed the register John Loveluck."
Notes from Janet Hearle et al: The first member of the family to come to Wales. Family legend says he and David Emanuel Marendez, a friend of Thomas Talbot, saved the life of Thomas Talbot when fighting barbary pirates; for this they were rewarded [Both John L and D.E. Marendez received rent free [nominal rents given) farms for their lifetime.] and brought to Margam. Thomas' father was John Ivory Talbot, who married Mary Mansell, an heiress, and took over the Margam estates. J.L. may have been pressed into the Navy (?) Margam abbey records his marriage to Ann John. He could write, but Ann signed with an X - date 23rd November, 1765, and he spelled his name with a 'u'. A family called Lovelock lived in Wilts as early a 1649 in Marlborough - Chiseldon area when William Lovelock of Chisledon was not disposed to contribute to a rate for the poor of the parish. In 1736 Edward Lovelock, yeoman, of Ham and Henley, and William Lovelock of Buttermere were listed as eligible for Jury service. The spelling of the name changed probably because of the Welsh prononciation of 'o' as 'u' in names like Monmouth, St. Donat's, etc. John is reputed to have come from Lacock because of the Talbot connection. In a census return of 1871 John's grandson Edward of Bridgend had as a children's nurse a woman born in Lacock. As he had a son and a grandson Edward, can it be assumed that his father might be Edward? The earliest record of him is in 1767. In 1782 he was the occupier of two premises in Kenfig Borough. Margam Estate accounts for 1788-9 record that John L. held land in Kenfig and a cot and garden in Margam. Was it a 'thank you' from the Talbots? He must have moved to Kenfig between 1777 and 1788. In 1802 he was tenant and owner of premises in Kenfig Borough. Was this Ann's?
Died 20th March, 1803 at Kenfig, aged 63 (Bishops Transcripts, Margam Abbey)
Born 1739 or 1740
A member of the Loveluck family (Mrs Laura Loveluck) deposited a lot of MSS, in the National Library of Wales, including: "The gamekeeper's deputation of John Loveluck of Pyle and Kenfig, warrener, in 1788 and 1792 in the manor of Kenfig; also the same John Loveluck's deputation in the manors of Sker, Margam, Havodyporth, Pyle, Kenfig and North Cornelly in 1794"; but this time he is described as a yeoman. In 1786 in the Tithing of Badbury a proprietor called Loveluck is shown to own pasture land which he lets for a rent of 9/-. In 1793 John was Portreeve of Kenfig. Land Tax Assessments - Newcastle Hundred (LTA/NEW) [Information from Dr. John Thomas] state: "1782. John Loveluck occupier of two premises in Kenfig Borough." "1802. John Loveluck tenant and owner of premises in Kenfig Borough." Margam Estate Rentals (O/O Ma) "John Loveluck gamekeeper to the Margam Estate in the 1760's and 1770's, 1767 earliest account. He died (suddenly?) without a Will and Letters of Administration were given to his widow Ann. He had the following children: i. Ann, eldest daughter, probably baptised at her mother's home. ii. Mary, baptised 5th May, 1770 (Margam Register) iii. Martha, baptised 1771 (Margam Register) iv. Edward, baptised 1774 (Margam Register) v. Margret, baptised 1781 (Margam Register) vi. William, baptised 1781, died in infancy (Margam Register) vii. William, baptised 1783 (Margam Register)
The following notes were obtained from Robert Sterry, who stated that he in turn obtained them from a cousin, Gwen Eastment, who is a Lovelock. However, it seems that the information originally came from Janet Hearle. Lovelucks in Wales (Courtesy of Janet Hearle, 28 Park Street, Bridgend, Glamorgan, Wales CF314AX) The Loveluck spelling in Wales emanated from the Welsh accent plus the fact that the clerks of the parish records based their spelling on what they heard. John Lovelock (who became Loveluck) bn: 1740 was g.g.g. grandfather of Janet Hearle (above). Foresters of this Lovelock family lived in Savanoke forest under the control of Sir John Seymour. In Savanoke they were allowed to have a crest of a hunting dog on their upper shirt arm. This story comes from Thomas Talbot of Talbots Laycock Abbey, Wiltshire, an MP in the English Parliament who in the 1700s inherited Margam Abbey and lands in Wales. John Lovelock was employed by Thomas Talbot. John Lovelock had a brother George, who was a groom, who left with him for Margam. In Wales, George lived at Penrug Farm. Margam was to become a gentleman's park, with an orangery which became famous all over Britain. Talbot wanted Italian statues from Italy to decorate Margam and he took John Lovelock with him to Italy. Their ship was attacked by pirates off the coast of North Africa and John Lovelock and another young protege called David Marendaz saved Talbot's life. In gratitude they were each allowed to have a farm rent free for the extent of their lives. John later went to live a few miles away at Kenrig where he became a "burgher" of that old town, then later at Reve, where he became chairman of the local council. John's eldest daughter Ann married Marendoz.
Notes by James M L: There are obviously some errors in the above, including the incorrect spelling of Kenfig, and the confusion between the role of "Port Reve" and a town called Reve.
There is an interesting connection concerning the Talbot family and their home Lacock Abbey. It seems that the pioneering photographer, and physicist, William Henry Fox Talbot (1800-1877) was the great-grandson of John Ivory Talbot, or the grandson of Tomas Talbot. In fact, his historic photograph, generally acknowledged to be the world's first photographic negative, was of the latticed oriel window of the South Gallery of Lacock Abbey, Fox Talbot's home. Furthermore, the photographic connection extended to Glamorgan, Since Fox Talbot spent much of his youth with his Welsh cousins at Penrice Castle, Gower, Through his cousin Christopher Talbot, he came into contact with the Rev. Calvert Richard Jones, who became one of his closest associates. The earliest Welsh photograph is a daguerreotype of Margam Castle taken by Calvert Jones, and shows the home of his friend Christopher Price Mansel Talbot, Fox Talbot's cousin.
Sources: Web pages: Fox Talbot Museum of Photography, http://www.r-cube.co.uk/fox-talbot/history.htm Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru : National Library of Wales http://www.llgc.org.uk/dm/dm0035.htm Lacock, National Trust Village and Abbey http://web.ukonline.co.uk/Members/hugh.c/lacock.htm
John L was Portreeve of Kenfig 1793 (source "The Story of Kenfig by Leslie A Evans)
Notes by John Dixon: Will Llandaff.
|Given names||Surname||GIVN||SURN||Sosa||SOSA||Birth||SORT_BIRT||Place||NCHI||Death||SORT_DEAT||Age||AGE||Place||Last change||CHAN||SEX||BIRT||DEAT||TREE|
|John Loveluck||JohnAAAALoveluck||LoveluckAAAAJohn||0||1740||2356764||278||Wiltshire, England||8||8||18 March 1803||2379668||215||63||23086||Margam, Glamorgan, Wales||M||YES||YES||R|